Digest>Sep/Oct 2018

Photo By:

Susan Leath

Photo Caption:

A replica of the Van Wie’s post lantern is exhibited at the Bethlehem Historical Association. The first light was originally described as having a white stone base with a wood lantern post on top. The 1872 Lighthouse Board annual report stated that the beacon was being undermined by the waves of passing steamers and needed 100 more tons of stone added for its protection. In the 1880s, it was upgraded to include a black crane from which to hang the lantern.
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018

Story:

A Hudson River Legacy:
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018

All contents copyright © 1995-2019 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt












Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2019   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History