Digest>Sep/Oct 2018

Photo Caption:

This photo shows the Van Wie/Welch family homestead on the Point many decades ago. For at least 25 years following their marriage, William and Catherine Welch lived in the old family home with Catherine’s brother Henry Van Wie. Henry was the first official keeper of the light from 1854 until 1858. After Catherine died in 1882, William moved in with Warren and his family in the newer home built behind the old one until William’s death in 1910. Warren Welch’s home still stands on Van Wie’s Point today, though it is not owned by the family now. (Courtesy of Al Weaver)
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018

Story:

A Hudson River Legacy:
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018

All contents copyright © 1995-2019 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt












Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2019   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History