Shown here in the late 1940s or early 1950s is the McCrae Lighthouse General Store in McCrae, Victoria, Australia that was once operated by F.E. Wood. The store was named for the South Channel Rear Range Lighthouse, which was more commonly known as the McCrae Lighthouse, which is also shown here from a photo that was also taken in the late 1940s or early 1950s.
Today the official name of the light tower is Eastern Lighthouse and it is surrounded by an area that is managed by Parks Victoria as the Rosebud Foreshore Reserve. In 1994, the lighthouse was decommissioned, and in 1998 the Victorian Government’s Department of Natural Resources and Environment undertook a major restoration of the 100-foot tall tower that was built in 1874.
Sadly, the McCrae Lighthouse General Store closed about 19 years ago and a café now occupies the building. But, we’ll bet, that in its day, the store was a popular and friendly place to shop with locals as well as tourists.
This story appeared in the
Mar/Apr 2018 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.