Sheldon Museum and Cultural Center
Contact Address Information:
Eldred Rock Light is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Alaska. The Sheldon Museum is working to obtain a lease or title for the lighthouse in hopes of renovating it and opening it to the public.
Tower Height: 56
Height of Focal Plane: 91
Description of Tower: White octagonal wood tower on roof of fog signal building/keeper's quarters.
This light is operational
1906 two story wood combined keeper's quarters/fog signal building, boathouse, helicopter pad, radio tower, cistern, oil house, storage building.
Date Established: 1905
Date Present Tower Built: 1905
Date Automated: 1973
Optics: 1906: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm, solar powered. The original Fresnel lens is now on display at the Sheldon Museum and Cultural Center, Box 269, Haines, AK 99827. Phone: (907) 766-2366. Email: email@example.com
Fog Signal: First class fog siren now deactivated.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Boat and helicopter access only.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Manuel Cota (Coast Guard, 1957), Gordon Huggins (Coast Guard, 1962)