Kennebunkport Conservation Trust
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 28
This was the last lighthouse to be automated in Maine. The light station was a base of operations for the Secret Service while George H. W. Bush was president; his estate at Walker's Point in Kennebunkport is nearby. The property was acquired by the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust under the Maine Lights Program. The Coast Guard still maintains the light and fog signal. In 2011-12, the light station underwent a massive restoration that included the rebuilding of the enclosed walkway that had been destroyed in a 1978 storm.
Tower Height: 25
Height of Focal Plane: 38
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every six seconds.
Description of Tower: White brick cylindrical tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1860 1.5 story wood Colonial Cape keeper's house, 1907 brick oil house, 1905 wood boathouse.
1834: 20-foot stone tower.
Date Established: 1834
Date Present Tower Built: 1859
Date Automated: 1990
Optics: 1859: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1990: 300 mm.
Fog Signal: Originally fog bell, now automated fog horn with one blast every 15 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Take ME 9 toward Kennebunkport off US Route 1 north or south. Follow Route 9 to Cape Porpoise Center. When the road makes a 90 degree turn, bear right (northbound) or turn left (southbound) onto Pier Road. Continue 0.6 mile to the town wharf. Free parking is available near the wharf. The view of the lighthouse is fairly distant from here (at low tide, it's possible to walk much of the way to the island); better views are available on some local cruises. First/Second Chance, Inc., offers a Scenic Lobster Cruise that sometimes (not always) provides a close view of Goat Island Light; call (207) 967-5507 or (800) 767-BOAT for details. Cape Arundel Cruises in Kennebunkport offers a 90-minute cruise down the Kennebunk River to Cape Porpoise Harbor. Call (207) 967-5595 for details.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: John Lord (1834-1842); Thatcher Hutchins (1842-1846); George Fletcher (1846-1850); Samuel Grant (1850-1858); George Averill (1858-1862); Joseph Huff (1862-1866); ? Illsley (1866-1873); Brad Emerson (1873-1878); John Emerson (1878-1887); George Wakefield (1887-1922); Leo Allen (1922-1926); James M. Anderson (1926-1939); Justin Foss, Sr. (1939-1942); Joseph Bakken (Coast Guard, 1946-1950); Robert McWilliams (1950-1953); Bruce Jordan (1953-?); Brad Culp (Coast Guard, c. 1990).