Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Goose Rocks Light   Map it!

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
North Haven, Maine, United States

Location: East entrance to the Fox Islands Thorofare, between North Haven and Vinalhaven islands.


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Jeremy D'Entremont

Managing Organization:
Beacon Preservaton, Inc.

Contact Address Information:
117 Main Street
Ansonia
Connecticut, 06401,

Notes:
In 2004, this lighthouse was made available under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. There were no suitable applicants, so it was sold by sealed bid. Ownership was transferred to the high bidder, Beacon Preservation, Inc., in November 2006.

Tower Height: 51

Height of Focal Plane: 51

Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every six seconds with a red sector.

Description of Tower: White cylindrical cast iron

This light is operational

Date Established: 1890

Date Present Tower Built: 1890

Date Automated: 1963

Optics: 1890: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm solar powered.

Fog Signal: Now automated horn with one blast every 10 seconds.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation.

Open To Public? No.

Directions:
Goose Rocks Light can be seen from Calderwood Point on Vinalhaven, but it is best seen by boat. It is probably best seen from some of the special lighthouse cruises from Camden on board the Lively Lady Too; call (207) 236-6672 for information.

Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Angier W. Tapley (1896-1899); Charles A. Doliver (1899); Albert Reed Mills (1899-1912, intermittent); Henry Wilson, assistant (1904); Charles E. Barber, assistant (1904); Augustin Linnekin, assistant (1905 - appointed, never served); Alonzo Morong, assistant (1905-1906); Marmal Newman, assistant (1906-1907); Clarence D. Wallace, assistant (1907); Clarence W. Guptill, assistant (1907); Nelson L. Kelley, assistant (1908-1909); George P. Merritt, assistant (1909-1911); Myrick Morrison (c.1920-1938); Asa Smith (assistant?, c. 1922-1926); Charles L. Knight, assistant (1926-?); Raymond Morrison (assistant, ?-c. 1936); Harold Kilton (assistant 1936-?, later head keeper); Arthur Hill (assistant, later head keeper, c. 1930s); Roy Manchester (substitute Coast Guard keeper, died in service 1940); Shannon Balke (Coast Guard officer in charge, 1954); Jim Woods (Coast Guard c. 1959-1960); Kirt Calvert (Coast Guard c. 1959-1960); Alton "Tonny" Calderwood (civilian "lamplighter" after automation, 1963-?); Elmer Carver (civilian "lamplighter" after automation, 1963-?)

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History