Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Little River Light   Map it!

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Beacon of Freedom

Nearest Town or City:
Cutler, Maine, United States

Location: Cutler Harbor, Bay of Fundy


Click to enlarge: Photo    Large photo
Photo: Timothy Harrison
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Friends of Little River Lighthouse, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation

Website: http://www.littleriverlight.org
Email: keeper@littleriverlighthouse.org

Contact Address Information:
PO Box 565
Rockland
Maine, United States

Notes:
In 1975, the lens was removed from this lighthouse and an automated optic was installed on a skeleton tower nearby. The American Lighthouse Foundation (ALF) received a lease on Little River Light in early 2000, and the light was returned to the lighthouse on October 2, 2001, when the lighthouse, after being dark for 26 years, was relighted as a "Beacon of Freedom." The station became the property of ALF on July 27, 2002 under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. The keeper's house and light tower were restored by the Friends of Little River Light. The station is now available for overnight stays during July & August.

Tower Height: 41

Height of Focal Plane: 56

Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every six seconds.

Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron tower with green cast iron lantern.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1888 two story wood L-shaped Victorian keeper's house; 1905 stone oil house, 1881 wood boathouse.

Earlier Towers?
1847: Stone tower attached to stone keeper's house.

Date Established: 1847

Date Present Tower Built: 1876

Date Deactivated: 1975-2001

Optics: 1855: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1916 upgraded to 4th order lens; 1968 DCB-10 Rotating light; 1975 skeleton tower - 300 mm; 2001: Vega revolving light installed in tower (VRB-25) & skeleton tower removed.

Fog Signal: Formerly bell and striking machinery in pyramidal wood bell tower; now automated fog horn with one blast every 10 seconds.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation.

Open To Public? Yes.

Directions:
The Friends of Little River Lighthouse holds open houses twice a year in July and August. The Bold Coast Charters goes past the lighthouse on its trips to see the puffins on Machias Seal Island (home to a Canadian lighthouse). Also, Ed Payson writes: "The Western Head Trail, located on the south side of the harbor, offers many good views of the light, as well as Machias Seal Island Light and Southwestern Head Light on Grand Manan. A couple of miles over rough terrain, this trail offers really nice views of the three lights on a clear day. Little River is close; the other two are in the distance."

Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Zebediah Tucker (1848-1849); Elijah Shiverick (1849-1853); John McGuire (1853-1865); Oliver Ackley (1865-1866); Edward Noyes (1866-1870); Lucius Davis (1870-1896); Roscoe G. Johnson (1896-1898); Fred W. Morong (1898-1913); Charles A. Kenney (1913-1921); Willie W. Corbett (1921-1939) --- Coast Guard Keepers: Willie W. Corbett 1939-1945; Gleason Colbeth 1945-1950; Robert R Cale Sr 1951-1956; BMC Russell W. Reilly (c. 1958-1960 and c. 1971?); David Hardman (1958-1960); EN2 William Clow (c. late 1950s); BM3 George Joy (c. late 1950s and 4/27/69 - 4/7/71); BM1 Robert Marston (c. late 1950s and ?-March 1972); Chuck Shipp (c. 1958); Burley Chandler (1964 to 3/16/1967); BMCP Bruce G. Keene (1/3/1966 - 3/17/1967); Petty Officer Ronald E. Sullivan (3/17/1967 - 4/27/1969); Terry Rowden (1968-1970); David P Bartholomy 1970-1972; BM3 Albert Vachon (March 1972 - January 1973); John A. Arrington - (Officer in Charge March 1972 - March 1973); BM3 Anthony W. Weyer c. Jan. 1973

Nearby Lodging: The keeper's house at Little River Light is open for overnight stays.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History