Maritime New Zealand
This lighthouse was originally on East Island; it was moved to its present location in 1922.
Tower Height: 46
Height of Focal Plane: 505
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 10 seconds, visible for 27 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1900
Date Present Tower Built: 1900
Date Automated: 1982
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
A parking area for the lighthouse is accessible on East Cape Road off Highway 35. There is a strenuous climb of over 500 steps to the lighthouse.
Keepers: ? Simmonds (c. 1922), ? Ager (assistant, c. 1920s), Hugh Jamieson (1931-1935), Tom Clark (c. late 1950s)