Monhegan Historical & Cultural Museum Association
Contact Address Information:
1 Lighthouse Hill
In 1962 the lighthouse station, except for the tower, was sold to the Monhegan Associates. In 1985 it was transferred to the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association. The lighthouse became the property of the association in 1997 under the Maine Lights Program. The Coast Guard still maintains the active optic.
Tower Height: 47
Height of Focal Plane: 178
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 15 seconds, visible for 20 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical granite tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1874 1.5 story wood frame Gothic Revival keeper's house, c. 1893 oil house, garage, storage building, chicken coop, 1998 replica assistant keeper's house and adjacent shed.
1824 - 30-foot stone tower.
Date Established: 1824
Date Present Tower Built: 1850
Date Automated: 1959
Optics: 1824: 10 lamps and reflectors; 1856: Second order Fresnel lens; 1959: 2nd order lens removed and later destroyed; 1959: DCB-36 Revolving Beacon; 1995: Vega VRB-25 solar powered optic.
Fog Signal: 1854: fog bell; 1870: Daboll fog trumpet on neighboring Manana Island; c. 1870s: steam whistle at Monhegan Island Light; 1877: First class Daboll fog trumpet at Manana Island. Now automated fog horn at Manana Island. An 1855 fog bell is on display.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Museum and grounds only.
The Monhegan Museum, founded in 1968 in the keeper's house, is open daily 11:30 to 3:30, July 1 through early September. The museum displays a wide variety of exhibits on the unique history of Monhegan Island. In 1998 the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association built a replica of an 1857 assistant keeper's house; the new building now serves as an art museum.
Monhegan Island is accessible by ferry (passengers only -- no cars) from Port Clyde, Boothbay Harbor and New Harbor. For information on the year round ferry from Port Clyde, call the Monhegan-Thomaston Boat Line at (207) 372-8848 or email them at email@example.com. For information on the seasonal ferry from Boothbay Harbor, call Balmy Days Cruises at (207) 633-2284. Hardy Boat Cruises runs the ferry from New Harbor from May to October; call them at (207) 677-2026 or (800) 2-PUFFIN or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Thomas B. Seavey (1824-1834); George B. Wormell (1834-1841); Samuel Abbey (Albee ?) (1841-1845); Francis Pierce (1845-1849); John Hatch (1849); James Wallace II (1849-1853); Thomas Orne (Horn ?) (1853-1857); Francis A. Handley (1857-1861); Joseph P. (F ?) Humphrey (1861-1862); Betty Morrow Humphrey (1862-1880); Sidney G. Studley (1880-1883); William Stanley (1883-1902); Daniel Stevens (1902-1919); Herbert Robinson (1919-1922); Maurice M. Weaver (1922-1924); Norman Oliver (1924); Charles Dyer (1924-1936); William H. Woodward (1936-1937); Vinal Foss (1937-1945); John Faulkingham (1945-1951); William Bardwell (1951-1952); Paul Baptiste (1952-1954); Henley Day (1954-1956); Ernest DeRaps (1956-1957); Davey Blount, Jr. (1957-1960). ASSISTANTS: Sylvester Davis (1855-1857), Thomas Kinney (1857-1861), David N. Bond (1957-1859), D. Lermond (1859-1861), Henry T. Studley (1861-1870), Elisha R. Davis (1861-1872), Thomas Hall (1870-1871), Francis A. Brackett (1871-1872), Bradbury Emerson (1872-1873), Sidney G. Studley (1872-1880), Andrew J. Marston (1873-1876), Fred F. Humphrey (1880-1901), Charles M. Griffin (1901-1904), Walter S. Adams (1904-1907), Leo Allen (1907-1909), Jerome C. Brawn (1909), Charles H. Newman (1909-1911), Maurice M. Weaver (1911-1913), Lester Leighton (1913-1914), W. W. Corbett (1914-1920), Harold I. Hutchins (1920-1922).