Maritime New Zealand
This lighthouse is located in Kahurangi National Park. The cast iron tower was manufactured by Judd's Foundry, Thames, New Zealand. The station was severely damaged during a 1929 earthquake. The light was semi-automated with the use of acetylene gas in 1926 and converted to electricity in 1967. The light is now solar powered.
Tower Height: 59
Height of Focal Plane: 154
Characteristic and Range: White flash twice every 15 seconds, visible for 11 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1903
Date Present Tower Built: 1903
Date Automated: 1960
Optics: 1903: Second-order Fresnel lens; 1930: 800 mm drum lens (still in place); active Vega 250 optic is mounted outside the lantern.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Keepers: William Colley (1903-?), John Ansin (assistant, 1903-?), Henry Farrer (assistant, 1903-?), Hugh Jamieson (assistant, 1921-1926), Alva Page, (1948-1960)