New Zealand Maritime Safety Authority/Department of Conservation
This lighthouse is located in the Tiritiri Matangi Scientific Reserve. It is the oldest operational lighthouse in New Zealand.
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 18 seconds, visible for 18 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1865
Date Present Tower Built: 1865
Date Automated: 1984
Fog Signal: 1898: Explosive fog signal, 1935: Diaphone signal, c. 1983: Automatic horn, now discontinued.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
For information on a ferry to Tiritiri Matangi, call the Department of Conservation Information Centre at 09 379 6476.
Keepers: C.R. Gilbert (assistant, ?-1949)