Friends of Nash Island Light
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 250
The Coast Guard destroyed the keeper's house and other buildings after automating the light in 1947. The lighthouse was replaced by an offshore buoy in 1982 and fell into disrepair. In 1998, the lighthouse was transferred to the Friends of Nash Island Light under the Maine Lights Program. The group has done much restoration of the exterior of the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 36
Height of Focal Plane: 51
Description of Tower: White square brick tower with black cast iron lantern, attached to workroom.
This light is not operational
1838: cylindrical tower.
Date Established: 1838
Date Present Tower Built: 1874
Date Deactivated: 1982
Date Automated: 1947
Optics: 1856: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: 1888: Fog bell and striking mechanism in pyramidal bell tower.
Current Use: Under restoration.
Open To Public? No.
Nash Island Light is difficult to see from the mainland. You may be able to charter a cruise to see this lighthouse; contact John E. Norton in Jonesport at (207) 497-5933. Robertson Sea Tours & Adventures may offer cruises with a view of Nash Island; see robertsonseatours.com or email email@example.com.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: John Wass (1847-1853); Daniel Curtis (1853-?); Enos D. Wass (1865-1872); Edwin K. Heath (1872-1876); Nehemiah Guptill (1876-1881); Roscoe G. Lophaus (1881-1883); Charles S. Holt (1883-1902); Osmond Cummings (?); Nathan A Reed (Dec. 1911-March 1912 died); Allen Carter Holt (March 1912- 1916); John Purington (1916-1935); Edwin Pettegrow (Pettegrew) (c. 1930s); Larson Alley (?-1947); Edward Wallace (1947-1958)