Commissioners of Irish Lights
Contact Address Information:
16 Lower Pembroke Street
The first lighthouse in this vicinity, known as Copeland Lighthouse, was built in 1711 from stones quarried on the island by convicts.
Tower Height: 121
Height of Focal Plane: 121
Characteristic and Range: Fl (4) W 30s. Shown by day in poor visibility. Nominal Range: 24 nautical miles
Description of Tower: Black, conical tower with central white horizontal band, white lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1884
Date Present Tower Built: 1884
Date Automated: 1996
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
There are excursion boats to the Copeland Islands from several places on the coast, including Bangor.
Keepers: John O’Donnell (1884-?), Henry Hammond (?), Reggie Hamilton (assistant 1957-1964, principal keeper 1975-?)