Guard Island Heritage, Inc.
Contact Address Information:
11380 Alderwood St. N.
Guard Island Heritage, Inc. is working to gain ownership of the light station, which is still owned by the U.S. Coast Guard. The group wants to improve public access to the light station and to restore the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 30
Description of Tower: White square concrete tower on roof of oil house
This light is operational
Integral oil house. Other buildings were destroyed in 1973.
Date Established: 1904
Date Present Tower Built: 1924
Date Automated: 1969
Optics: 1904: buoy-style lens-lantern light; 1997: solar powered VRB-25.
Fog Signal: Originally a bell, then an air diaphone horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat or float plane only. Ketchikan City Tours offers an excursion to the light station; see www.citytours.alaskamade.com/guardisland.html or email email@example.com or call 800-652-8687.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Tom Whalen (Coast Guard officer in charge 1964)