Museum of Scottish Lighthouses
Contact Address Information:
This lighthouse was added to a previously existing 16th century castle. The property is now managed by the Kinnaird Head Trust and is the site of the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses. The lighthouse was replaced by a smaller lighthouse erected nearby in 1991. In early 2004 there was discussion of moving the light back to the original tower.
Description of Tower: Conical white tower on castle.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1787
Date Deactivated: 1991
Fog Signal: Discontinued 1987 (was one blast every 90 seconds).
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The Museum of Scottish Lighthouses is open every day of the year except December 25 and 26 and January 1 and 2. Guided tours of Kinnaird Head Lighthouse are offered daily. Check www.lighthousemuseum.co.uk for hours.
From Aberdeen, take the A90 north to Peterhead and Fraserburgh.