Montauk Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 943
Montauk Point Light is the oldest lighthouse in New York. It was authorized by President George Washington in 1792. It is the fourth oldest active lighthouse in the United States.
Tower Height: 110
Height of Focal Plane: 168
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every five seconds. Visible for 19 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Octagonal, pyramidal, sandstone tower; white with brown band in middle, with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1860 keeper's house, oil house, storage building.
Date Established: 1796
Date Present Tower Built: 1796
Date Automated: 1987
Optics: c. 1838: 13 lamps and 14.5
Fog Signal: 1873: First class Daboll trumpet operated by hot air engine; 1898: First class siren operated by air compressor; 1939: Air diaphragm horn; now automated horn with one blast every 15 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The Montauk Historical Society maintains a museum in the 1860 keeper's house. The museum includes historic photos, models of the lighthouse and surrounding terrain, an exhibit on Long Island Sound lighthouses, and lanterns and lenses. There is also a gift shop. The lighthouse's old 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens is also on display in the museum. Visitors are allowed to climb to the watch room of the tower. For information on school and group tours call (631) 668-2544. The lighthouse and museum are open every day in summer (mid-May to Columbus Day) and on selected weekends the rest of the year. Call (631) 668-2544 for the current schedule. Children must be 41 inches tall to climb the tower.
From New York City: Go east on I-495 to Exit 70, then south on NY 111 to NY 27. Take NY 27 east to Montauk Point. Montauk is also accessible via ferry (May-October) from New London, Connecticut, and Block Island, Rhode Island. Call Viking Fleet Ferry Lines for information at (516) 668-5700.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Jacob Hand (1796-1812); Jared Hand (1812-1814); Patrick F. Gould (1832-1849); John Hobart (1849-1850); Silas P. Loper (1850-1865); Jonathan A. Miller (1865-1869 and 1872-1875); James G. Scott (1885-1910); John F. Anderson (2nd Asst. Keeper, Nov. 1, 1906 to Jan 5, 1908, 1st Asst. Keeper, Jan 5, 1908 to Oct. 12, 1908, keeper, Oct. 1, 1910 to May 16, 1912); John E. Miller (1912-1929), Carl F.W. Anderson