Low Head Historic Precinct
This was Australia's third light station. The light station has been combined with an adjacent pilot station to form the Low Head Historic Precinct. The restoration of all the buildings is underway. The pilot station now includes a maritime museum, restaurant, and gift shop, and there are plans for traditional shipbuilding crafts.
Tower Height: 62
Height of Focal Plane: 141
Characteristic and Range: Group flashing (3) every 30 seconds, visible for 23 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White conical brick tower, central red horizontal band.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1833
Date Present Tower Built: 1888
Fog Signal: The foghorn building houses the only operational 'G' type diaphone foghorn in the world. The horn sounds at noon on Sundays.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Keepers: Alfred C. Rockwell and Alfred Rockwell Jr. (1865-1912)