Port Huron Museum
Contact Address Information:
1115 Sixth St.
The Huron Lightship was launched in 1920 as Lightship 103 of the United States Lighthouse Service. She was later re-designated U.S. Coast Guard WAL-526, then WLV-526. From 1935 until 1970 she served at Corsica Shoals, at the southern end of Lake Huron, approximately 6 miles north of the Blue Water Bridges, 3 miles east of the Michigan shoreline. When she was withdrawn in 1970 she was the last of 22 lightships on the Great
Lakes and the only lightship to keep her station throughout World War II. In 1972 she was enshrined alongside the St. Clair River at Pine Grove Park in Port Huron as a tribute to her vigilance and in memory of a by-gone era. In 1989 the Lightship was designated a National Historic Landmark. Length overall 97 ft.; Beam 24 ft.; Draft 9 ft. 6 in.; Displacement 310 tons (in fresh water); Mushroom anchor weight 3 tons; Dilok chain link weight 14 lbs.; Maximum ship speed 8 knots; Mast height above waterline (lantern mast) 52 ft. 6 in.; Keel laid in 1918 by Consolidated Shipbuilding Company, Morris Heights (Bronx), New York. Maintained by Volunteers of the Huron Lightship Museum; owned by the City of Port Huron. For more information on the lightship visit www.boatnerd.com/museums/huron/
This light is not operational
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The Thomas Edison Depot Museum & the historic Huron Lightship Museum are open for tours Fridays from 1:00 to 8:00 p.m.(May 17-September 27, 2002).and daily from 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. in the summer. The Port Huron Museum, Depot and Lightship normal hours are 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday the balance of the year. Purchase a Passport and SAVE up to 50%! Passports are valid for and available at all three museums and cost $3.00 for students and seniors,
$5.00 for adults. Children six and under are FREE when accompanied by an adult. For additional info call 810-982-0891 or visit www.phmuseum.org
The lightship is located just south of the Blue Water Bridges on the St. Clair River.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places