Municipality of La Martre
The keeper's house now serves as the town hall. This is the only non-automated lighthouse in Quebec; it is still operated by weights and cables.
Tower Height: 63
Height of Focal Plane: 130
Characteristic and Range: Four white flashes every 30 seconds; range 17 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Red, octagonal wooden tower.
This light is operational
1876: White, square wooden tower attached to the keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1876
Date Present Tower Built: 1906
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, gift shop.
Open To Public? Yes (guided tours).
A small museum on the site has exhibits on lighthouse history and equipment.
The lighthouse is on a steep hill in the village of La Martre (also known as Sainte-Marthe-de-Gaspé); it is easily accessible from Highway 132.
Keepers: Jean Gauthier (1876-1902); Auguste Leclerc (1902-1912); Joseph L’Italien (1912-1947); Paul-Roger Caron (1947-1972).