Hudson River Maritime Museum
Contact Address Information:
One Rondout Landing
In 1984 the Hudson River Maritime Museum entered into a long-term lease with the Coast Guard for stewardship of this lighthouse. Between 1984 and 1988, much restoration took place. Since 1988, the Maritime Museum has been responsible for the preservation and maintenance of the building.
Tower Height: 48
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 6 seconds, visible for 9 miles.
Description of Tower: Square brick tower attached to 2 1/2 story dwelling.
This light is operational
1838: Tower on top of wooden dwelling. 1867: Bluestone tower attached to dwelling (destroyed 1954).
Date Established: 1838
Date Present Tower Built: 1915
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
The Hudson River Maritime Museum offers a boat ride to the lighthouse, daily in July and August and weekends and holidays in the spring and fall. Call the museum at 845-338-0071 or email email@example.com for times.
Keepers: James McCausland (1838), John McCausland (1838-1842), Martin G. Hayes (1842-1845), Arthur M. Crange (1845), Johannes D. Hasbrouk (1845), Josiah Warner (1849-1853), John Kelly (1853-1856), George W. Murdock (1856-1857, died by drowning), Mrs. Catherine A. Murdock (1857-1907), James B. Murdock (1907-1923), Ernest Bloom (1923-1935), Robert L. Howard (1935-1945), Albert H. Passel (1945-1946), Herman Lange (1946-1954)