U.S. Coast Guard
A 1930s triplex keeper's dwelling built at this station was privately owned beginning in the 1980s, and it was destroyed by fire on April 9, 2003.
Tower Height: 82
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 15 seconds.
Description of Tower: Cylindrical steel tower on top of concrete fog signal building.
This light is operational
1874: Square brick tower attached to keeper's dwelling (on shore).
Date Established: 1874
Date Present Tower Built: 1950
Date Automated: 1970s
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Follow M-203 to F.J. McLain State Park. Bear left to the area near the lighthouse, which is at the end of a pier. The breakwater is rough and walking on it can be difficult. The lighthouse can also be seen from across the waterway near the end of Houghton Canal Road.
Keepers: Peter Malone (1875-1877), John Malone (1877-1879), William Stevens (1879-?)