Martha's Vineyard Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 827
59 School Street
The first (1828) Edgartown Harbor Light was badly damaged in the Hurricane of 1938 and was demolished a year later. A cast iron tower from Crane Beach in Ipswich, Massachusetts, was carried by barge to Edgartown; it replaced the original structure in 1939. It is managed today by the Martha's Vineyard Historical Society. In 2014, under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act, the actual ownership of the tower was awarded to the Town of Edgartown.
Tower Height: 45
Height of Focal Plane: 45
Characteristic and Range: Flashing red every six seconds.
Description of Tower: White conical cast iron tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1828: Cape Cod style structure -- keeper's dwelling with lantern on roof.
Date Established: 1828
Date Present Tower Built: 1873 (Ipswich)
Date Automated: 1939
Optics: 1856: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm, solar powered.
Fog Signal: Fog horn was removed in 1988.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Martha's Vineyard is accessible by car/passenger ferry from Hyannis, Falmouth, Woods Hole and New Bedford. Call the Martha's Vineyard Chamber of Commerce at (508) 693-0085 for ferry information. Car and bicycle rentals are available near the ferry. You can also take a tour of the island with M.V. Sightseeing; call (508) 627-TOUR.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Jeremiah Pease (1828-1841 and 1843-1849); Sylvanus Crocker (1841-1843 and 1849-1853); William Vinson (1853-1855); James Blankenship (1855-1861); William Vincent (1861-1866); Zolmond Steward (1866-1870); Benjamin Huxford (1870-?); Joseph H. Barrus (1919-1931); Henry L. Thomas (1931-1938); Fred Vidler (1938).