In 1885, a range light was added to work in conjunction with this light. The front range light was on the Old Colony Railroad Wharf. When the lighthouse was discontinued in 1929, the lantern was removed. The station passed into private hands. The present owners constructed a new lantern, larger than the original one, in 1987.
Tower Height: 19
Height of Focal Plane: 42
Description of Tower: White conical brick tower.
This light is not operational
1849 1.5 story wood keeper's house (modified and enlarged), 1902 brick oil house.
Date Established: 1849
Date Present Tower Built: 1849
Date Deactivated: 1929
Optics: 1856: Fourth order (?) Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? No.
At the rotary intersection of MA 28 and MA 132, turn right onto Barnstable Road in Hyannis and continue south on Ocean Street. At Gosnold Street turn right, pass Old Colony Road on the right, then turn left at Harbor Road. The lighthouse is at the end of Harbor Road. Do not enter the private property. Views are possible from Captain Marcus Sherman's catboat rides out of Hyannis; call (508) 775-0222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details, or see www.catboat.com
Keepers: Daniel Snow Hallett (1849-1851); James Bearse (1851-1853); Almoran Hallett (1853-1861); Franklin Baker (1861-1869); John Lothrop (1869-1878, died in service); Alonzo Lothrop (1878-1899); John Peak (1899-1915); Waldo Leighton (1915-1929).