Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge
Contact Address Information:
Monomoy Point Light was considered expendable after the opening of the Cape Cod Canal in 1914. The lighthouse was discontinued in 1923 and was sold into private hands. Today the station is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, with the support of a nonprofit group, the Friends of Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge. The lighthouse was restored in 1988, but more work is needed. Monomoy Island was cut into two islands, North and South Monomoy, by a blizzard in February 1978.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 47
Description of Tower: Red, cylindrical cast iron tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
1849 two story wood Cape Cod style keeper's house, 1894 brick oil house, generator building.
1823: tower on roof of keeper's house.
Date Established: 1823
Date Present Tower Built: 1849
Date Deactivated: 1923
Optics: 1857: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Part of Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Solomon Doane (c. 1842); Asa L. Jones (1875-1886); Joseph P. Smith (1899-?).
Nearby Lodging: From Memorial Day to late September, the Friends of Monomoy offer programs that include an overnight stay in the keeper's house. Call (508) 945-0594 for information.