U.S. Coast Guard
In 1923 the keeper's house at Ned's Point was removed; it was floated across Buzzards Bay to Wing's Neck Light in Bourne. Ned's Point Light is in a public park maintained by the Town of Mattapoisett. The lighthouse is managed by U.S. Coast Guard Flotilla 67.
Tower Height: 39
Height of Focal Plane: 41
Characteristic and Range: Isophase 6 seconds: Three seconds of white alternating with three seconds darkness, adding up to a six second cycle.
Description of Tower: White, conical stone tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1838
Date Present Tower Built: 1838
Date Deactivated: 1952-1961
Date Automated: 1923
Optics: 1857: Fifth order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only; tower open occasionally.
The lighthouse has been open during July and August, Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon. Contact Bert Theriault at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
North on U.S. Route 6: In Mattapoisett Center at the town's first traffic light, turn right on Main Street. There is a "Town Hall" sign on the intersection's northwest corner. Follow Main, Water, and Beacon Streets for about one mile and bear right onto Ned's Point Road. Continue south on Ned's Point Road about 0.6 mile to the free parking area near the lighthouse. South on U.S. Route 6: About 1.5 miles from an :"Entering Mattapoisett" sign and where U.S. 6 leaves Marion Road and curves to the right as Country Road, continiue straight ahead on Marion Road. There is a blinking yellow caution light at the intersection. Follow Marion Road for another 0.5 mile to Ned's Point Road and follow to the lighthouse.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: George Braley (1843-1849); Hannah Brayley (circa 1846-1849); Larnet Hall Jr (1849-1853); John Bumpus (1853-1859); Larnet Hall, Jr. (1859-1874); George H. Kelly (1874-1895); William P. Howard (1895-1912); Zimri Tobias "Toby" Robinson (1912-1914); Russell Eastman (1914-1923)