The Lighthouse Preservation Society is working with the owners of the lighthouse in an effort to restore the structure. For more information contact the Lighthouse Preservation Society, 4 Middle Street, Newburyport, MA 01950. Phone (508) 499-0011 or (800) 727-BEAM.
Tower Height: 53
Description of Tower: Square, hourglass-shaped, unpainted brick tower with white cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1873
Date Present Tower Built: 1873
Date Deactivated: 1961
Current Use: Part of office building.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is on Water Street in downtown Newburyport, between Fair and Independent streets, near the Coast Guard station. There is street parking near the lighthouse. For a view of the range lights from the water, you can take a Newburyport Harbor cruise on the Yankee Clipper. The vessel leaves Newburyport Waterfront Park for 45-minute tours from 11 am to 6:30 pm in summer. Cruises are $10 for adults, $5 for children. Call (888) 975-1842 for information.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: George W. Stickney (June 1, 1873 - October 7, 1886); Matthew F. Barrett (1886-1889 and 1893-1908); Edwin F. Hunt (1889-1893); Bernard W. Barrett (1908-?)