Cuttyhunk Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
23 Tower Hill Road
A privately owned lighthouse was maintained at Tarpaulin Cove from 1759 to 1818. It was replaced by a government lighthouse on 1818.
Tower Height: 28
Height of Focal Plane: 78
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every six seconds.
Description of Tower: White conical brick tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1759: Privately operated light; 1818:: 38-foot stone tower.
Date Established: 1818
Date Present Tower Built: 1891
Date Automated: 1941
Optics: 1856: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Tarpaulin Cove Light is difficult to see except by private boat. Naushon Island is privately owned and is not accessible to the general public. The Cuttyhunk Historical Society may offer occasional open houses.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Zaccheus Lumbert (1759-1764); various Cove Tavern keepers (1764-1817); John Geyer (1818-1852); Joseph R. Luce (1852-1853); Nathan Clifford, Jr. (1853-1861); Abraham C. White (1861-1864) Samuel E. Skiff (1864-1869); William E. Skiff (1869-1871); Richard Norton (1871-1882); Calvin N. Adams (1882-1886); Frank S. Carson (1886-1910); George A. Howard (1910-1912); George T. Gustavus (assistant, 1910-?); Frederick W. Field (1912-1916); Carl Hill (1916-1920); Frank Allen Davis (1920-1928); Tolman Spencer (1928-1941).