Min. of Traffic, Public Works & Water Management
The IJmuiden range lights were established to guide vessels into the Amsterdam Ship Canal. Although light lists in the late 19th and early 20th centuries always describe the tower as painted in red and white bands, old color postcards generally show black and white bands. Originally, the tower was 115 feet tall, but in 1909, the upper portion was removed and relocated to Vlieland, where it became the new lighthouse there (see the record for Vuurduin). The remaining portion of the tower in IJmuiden, now 79 feet tall, was fitted with a new lantern and completely repainted in a red-brown color. Near the lighthouse is a recently-constructed three-story building housing the harbor control center and a restaurant. A lantern from this lighthouse is now at the Velserkom, a street in downtown Ijmuiden.
Tower Height: 79
Height of Focal Plane: 102
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white light visible for 16 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical red-brown cast iron tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1878
Date Present Tower Built: 1878
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.