The reef was originally marked by a lighted buoy, installed in the 1850s. The 1906 lighthouse was demolished in 1961. An active light on a skeleton tower stands on the old foundation.
Description of Tower: 1899: Iron skeleton tower on a concrete crib. 1906: Victorian steel and brick dwelling with octagonal tower on roof, on concrete caisson.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1899
Date Deactivated: 1961
Date Automated: 1954
Optics: 1906: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.