Ida Lewis Yacht Club
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 479
Lime Rock and Wellington Avenue
The first keeper of the Lime Rock Lighthouse, Hosea Lewis, had a stroke in 1857. His daughter, Ida, soon took over the lighthouse duties. Ida Lewis remained keeper until 1911. She was credited with many rescues and is one of the most celebrated lighthouse keepers in American history. In 1924 the official name of Lime Rock Light was changed to Ida Lewis Rock Light. The light was discontinued in 1927, and the building subsequently became the Ida Lewis Yacht Club. The light is now operated as a private aid to navigation in summer as a tribute to Ida Lewis.
Tower Height: 13
Height of Focal Plane: 30
Description of Tower: White, square brick tower attached to side of keeper's house (now yacht club).
This light is operational
1856 two-story granite/brick keeper's house (altered, now yacht club).
Date Established: 1854
Date Present Tower Built: 1854
Date Automated: 1927
Optics: 1854: Sixth order Fresnel lens, now on display inside the Ida Lewis Yacht Club.
Current Use: Yacht club, private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
In Newport: Take Thames Street (one way) south to Wellington Avenue and turn right. The Ida Lewis Yacht Club is at the end of a boardwalk off Wellington Avenue. The yacht club is not open to the general public.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Hosea Lewis (1854-1872); Zoradia Walley Lewis (1872-1879); Idawalley Zoradia (Ida) Lewis (1879-1911); Edward Jansen (1911-1927).