When Conimicut Light was built in 1868, Nayatt Point Light's Fresnel lens was transferred to the new lighthouse and the old light was discontinued. The 1828 keeper's house, although much changed, is Rhode Island's oldest lighthouse keeper's house. The property has been on the market since 1997 for an asking price of $1.275 million.
Tower Height: 25
Height of Focal Plane: 31
Description of Tower: White square brick tower attached to keeper's house, with red cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
1828 two story brick keeper's house, modified and enlarged.
1828: 23-foot brick tower.
Date Established: 1828
Date Present Tower Built: 1856
Date Deactivated: 1868
Optics: c. 1842: Six lamps and 9
Fog Signal: 1873: Fog bell and striking machinery.
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? no
Nayatt Point Light can be seen from Barrington Town Beach. The beach is open only to residents of Barrington in the summer, but is open to everyone in the off season.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Daniel Wightman (1828-1845), John M. Carrie (1845-1849), Lewis B. Smith (1849-1852), Noel A. Mathewson (1852-1853), Wilmouth Heath (1853-1860), John Clark (1860-1861). A. W. Tripp (1861-1865), Davis Perry (1865-1868)