Gull Rock Lightkeepers
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 126
Gull Rock Light is a typical "schoolhouse" type lighthouse similar to some others on the Great Lakes. The building has been allowed to deteriorate since automation and is in need of restoration. In 2004, the Gull Rock Lightkeepers (GRL) teamed up with the Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy (MLC) to submit an application to the federal government to assume ownership of the lighthouse under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. In June 2005, the lighthouse was transferred. The GRL and the MLC are now working to restore the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 46
Height of Focal Plane: 50
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 5 seconds.
Description of Tower: Square brick tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is operational
Attached two story brick keeper's house.
Date Established: 1867
Date Present Tower Built: 1867
Date Automated: ?
Optics: 1867: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm, solar powered.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only. Keweenaw Excursions offers cruises that pass this lighthouse; see www.keweenawexcursions.com or call 906-482-0884. The Isle Royale Queen IV out of Copper Harbor offers sunset cruises that pass within view of Gull Rock. For more information, call (906) 289-4437 or see www.isleroyale.com.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: See www.terrypepper.com/lights/superior/gull-rock/keepers.htm for a list of the keepers of this lighthouse.