The building of a canal left the original Monroe Lighthouse four miles south of the new Monroe Harbor and the new mouth of the River Raisin in 1843, and a new lighthouse was built in the new location in 1849.
Description of Tower: 1829: Round 40-foot masonry tower; 1849: Octagonal wooden tower; c. 1885: Square tower on roof of 1 1/2 story wooden dwelling.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1829
Date Deactivated: 1916
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: John Whipple (1829-?), Peter Gussenbauer (1888-1904), Lewis Bond, John W. Anderson, John Paxton, Benjamin Thisman, Joseph Guyor, Israel Noble, James A. McGlenn.