In 1947 a skeleton tower replaced the lighthouse, and the 1889 lighthouse was torn down in 1960. The skeleton tower fell over in 1988. An automatic light on a skeleton tower remains in operation today at the south end of the island (Gould Island South Light).
Tower Height: 30
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower, lower portion brown, upper portion white.
This light is not operational
2.5 story wood and brick keeper's dwelling (destroyed).
Date Established: 1889
Date Deactivated: 1947
Optics: 1889: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: 1889: Fog bell and striking mechanism.
Current Use: Destroyed.
The oil house from the station can still be seen from the Newport Bridge.
Keepers: Edmund Taylor (1889-at least 1909); John (Jack) Larsen (1923-1940)