U.S. Coast Guard
This structure was built originally as a daymark only; the light was added later. The small open area in the base used to be known as the "Mariner's Refuge." Today it's where batteries are stored for the light.
Height of Focal Plane: 74
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 5 seconds, range 5 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Square, pyramidal granite tower with ladder on side, no lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1827
Date Present Tower Built: 1827
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The island is accessible by boat only; the monument can be seen distantly from Bailey Island. The Bailey Island Cruise offered by Casco Bay Lines provides a view -- call (207) 774-7871 or see www.cascobaylines.com.