Fort Popham State Historic Site
Contact Address Information:
10 Perkins Farm Land
English settlers made their first attempt to colonize New England near here in 1607. Fort Popham was built in 1861 for Civil War use. This station once had a resident keeper; the automated light is still maintained by the Coast Guard.
Height of Focal Plane: 27
Characteristic and Range: Flashing green every 4 seconds.
Description of Tower: Spindle on wall of fort.
This light is operational
1899: Light on spindle next to fort. 1903: Light on top of square pyramidal wooden structure, on rocks in front of fort. The light was relocated to the top of the fort in the 1940s.
Date Established: 1899
Date Present Tower Built: ?
Fog Signal: Originally attached fog bell.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Fort Popham is 15 miles from Bath on Route 209, two miles from Popham Beach State Park. This light can be seen from some scenic cruises leaving Boothbay Harbor and Bath.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Llewllyn Oliver (1905); Leroy L. Myers (1913-1928?); Alonzo Morong (?-1935); eugene W Osgood (1939?)