Lake Sunapee Protective Association
For well over a hundred years Lake Sunapee has drawn summer vacationers. Steamboat travel was frequent on the 10-mile long, three-mile wide lake in the late 19th century, and in 1891 the steamer Edmond Burke struck an underwater ledge. This led to the construction of a lighthouse for $400 on Loon Island in 1893. Today the lighthouse is owned by the New Hampshire Marine Patrol Bureau but the structure is maintained by the Lake Sunapee Protective Association.
This light is operational
1893 wooden tower burned down 1896; second tower burned down 1960.
Date Established: 1893
Date Present Tower Built: 1960
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse can be seen from the scenic cruises offered on the M.V. Mt. Sunapee II, Sunapee Harbor, New Hampshire. See www.sunapeecruises.com or call 603-763-4030 for details.