This lighthouse went into service on October 20, 1915. It was established due to the loss of the SS Penguin in 1909. The tower took over a year to build under difficult conditions. The original light was a 500mm drum lens, illuminated by Acetone-acetylene equipment. It was originally planned to place a watched light on nearby Tongue Point, where there was space for keepers' houses, but the development of acetylene gas-powered automatic lights was so satisfactory that Karori Rock Light was established instead. It was one of New Zealand's earliest automatic lighthouses. It was always difficult to service due to severe weather. In May 1996 it was replaced with a new Vega 250 flashing beacon on the mainland adjacent at Tongue Point, in the spot where a light had been planned 80 years earlier. The original Karori Rock lens still remains on site. (Thanks to Paul W. Shirley.)
Tower Height: 65
Description of Tower: Cylindrical concrete tower.
This light is not operational
Current Use: Unknown.