City of Oswego
On December 4, 1942 a boat capsized during a change of keepers at the light, claiming six lives. This lighthouse is the only remaining lighthouse out of four that have stood in Oswego. In May of 2009 ownership of the lighthouse was transferred from the Coast Guard to the City of Oswego. Volunteers are now restoring the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 57
Height of Focal Plane: 57
Characteristic and Range: Alternating red and white flash every 5 seconds.
Description of Tower: Square white steel tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is operational
1936 attached one story keeper's quarters.
1876: Iron tower on old outer western breakwater, relocated to new western breakwater in 1881. 1889: New tower.
Date Established: 1876
Date Present Tower Built: 1934
Date Automated: 1968
Optics: 18??: Third order Fresnel lens; 1934: fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Automatic horn with one blast every 30 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse can be seen from Bretbeck Park in Oswego. Follow West Lake Street toward the lake, then go left on Van Buren and right on Lake Street. There is also a marina on Lake Street with a view of the lighthouse.
Keepers: John Budds (1874-1896), Karl A. Jackson (?-1942, died in service), Bert E. Egelston (c. 1942), Carl Sprague (c. 1942)