Friends of Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 20
Town of Somerset
This lighthouse is today within Golden Hill State Park. The station is owned by the state; the Friends of Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse work for the restoration and preservation of the buildings. The lighthouse was reactivated as a private aid to navigation in 1998 after 39 years of inactivity. The fog signal building is now a recreation hall for campers in the park.
Tower Height: 61
Height of Focal Plane: 71
Description of Tower: Unpainted, square limestone tower with white and red lantern, attached to keeper's house.
This light is operational
1876 attached two-story limestone keeper's house, 1935 brick fog signal building, barn, two oil houses, pumphouse, shed, privy.
Date Established: 1876
Date Present Tower Built: 1876
Date Deactivated: 1959-1998
Optics: 1876: Third order Fresnel lens (removed).
Current Use: Private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes
The lighthouse is open for tours from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends only, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Call (716) 795-3885 for more information.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Osgar Elmer (1943-?).
Nearby Lodging: An apartment in the former keepers' cottage is available for rental all year. For information, call call 1-800-456-CAMP or see www.reserveamerica.com.