Maritime New Zealand
This was a popular station for early keepers, and with hedge shelters was a proper garden lighthouse. Being close to the main south trunk railway line, nearly all the servicing was done by railroad. (Thanks to Paul W. Shirley.)
Tower Height: 29
Height of Focal Plane: 94
Characteristic and Range: White light, 2 seconds on, 8 seconds off.
Description of Tower: White octagonal cast iron tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1904
Date Present Tower Built: 1904
Date Automated: 1930
Optics: 1904: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1930: 800 mm lens; now 250 mm optic.
Fog Signal: 1909-1913: Fog signal at nearby Patiti Point.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is near the end of Ellis Road off NZ 1 south of Timaru.
Keepers: John Frederick Ericsen (1904-?)