Twin Lights Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
The Navesink Twin Lights were the first American lighthouses to use Fresnel lenses (1841), the first to use kerosene as a fuel source (1883), and the first to be electrified (1898).
Tower Height: 73
Height of Focal Plane: 246
Description of Tower: Octagonal brownstone (unpainted) tower on fortress-type structure.
This light is operational
Integral fortress-type brownstone keeper's quarters, generator building.
1828: Two identical rubblestone towers.
Date Established: 1828
Date Present Tower Built: 1862
Date Deactivated: 1898-1962
Optics: 1841: Second-order Fresnel lens (revolving); 1862: First-order Fresnel lens; 1962: Sixth-order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes
The museum contains exhibits about the lighthouses and the United States Life Saving Service. The public can also visit the Spermacetti Cove L.S.S. life boat station, built circa 1849. It was moved here from Sandy Hook in 1954 and presently houses the museum's boat collection. The North Tower is open during museum hours and may be climbed by visitors. The South Tower is open only when staffing is available. Organized groups requesting guided tours must make arrangements in advance. The museum is open Memorial Day to Labor Day daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Labor Day to Memorial Day Wednesday through Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed on some holidays.
West in NJ Route 36: In Highlands, just after crossing the drawbridge on Route 36, take the cloverleaf right downhill to Bay Avenue and turn right. Turn right again at Highland Avenue. Turn left onto a steep, narrow uphill road, marked with a "Twin Lights State Historic Site" sign. Follow to the parking area. NOTE: The road leading to the lighthouse is a very steep, narrow, winding residential road where accidents occur frequently. Visitors should exercise extreme caution. East on Route 36, before reaching the drawbridge turn right at Portland Road and right again at Highland Avenue.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places