Australian Maritime Safety Authority
The lantern and first order lens were removed from the 1877 tower here in 1920. The tower was lowered, and a new lantern and a smaller lens were installed. In 1923 the original lantern and lens were installed on the Cape Willoughby Lighthouse; today they are on a "faux" lighthouse at the Hope Cottage Museum in Kingscote. In 1968 the original integral dwelling was demolished, and the rest of the structure was was removed and replaced by a modern fiberglass tower in 1995. The central cylinder and lantern of the 1920 lighthouse were reassembled at the Wallaroo Heritage and Nautical Museum in 2001.
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: Fiberglass tower on original (1877) screwpile platform.
This light is operational
1877: Pyramidal skeletal tower with integral living quarters.
Date Established: 1877
Date Present Tower Built: 1995
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.