This light station was officially established in 1863, but a light was occasionally shown on the rock from about 1750. The station was established on the orders of Vice-Admiral Tardy de Montravel, governor of French Guiana from 1859 to 1864. The light was maintained by two inmates of the famous Île du Diable penitentiary until the pen was closed in the 1930s. The light was discontinued and replaced by a buoy in 1968, but was reactivated in 1989 as an automated aid.
Tower Height: 49
Height of Focal Plane: 56
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 5 seconds.
Description of Tower: Grey conical tower.
This light is operational
1864: Wooden framework. 1919: White iron framework structure, 61 feet tall.
Date Established: 1864
Date Present Tower Built: 1934
Date Deactivated: 1968-1989
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.