Tybee Island Lighthouse and Museum
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 366
The lighthouse is leased by the Coast Guard to the Tybee Island Historical Society. A major restoration was finished in 1999; Grace Jackson Weaver, daughter of the last keeper, threw the switch at the relighting ceremony. There is still more restoration needed on the other buildings; donations are welcomed.
Tower Height: 154
Height of Focal Plane: 144
Description of Tower: Octagonal. pyramidal brick tower, black with a white central band.
This light is operational
1881 two-story keeper's house, cistern, fuel storage building, summer kitchen, garage, second keeper's house.
1736: 90-foot wooden tower (daymark); 1742: 90-foot wood and stone tower (daymark); 1773: 100-foot brick tower (daymark, light added 1791)
Date Established: 1791
Date Present Tower Built: 1867
Date Automated: 1972
Optics: 1857: Second order Fresnel lens; 1867: First order Fresnel lens
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes
The Tybee Island Lighthouse and Museum is open April to early September daily (except Tuesdays) 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; September through March daily (except Tuesdays) 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed on January 1, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. There is one admission fee for the lighthouse and museum.
Highway 80 East ends on Tybee Island. Ttake a left at the first stop light on the island, which is Campbell Avenue. At the end of Campbell Avenue, take a left onto Van Horne. Your first right is Meddin Drive. Take a right and stay on Meddin Drive until you reach the lighthouse parking area.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: ? Higgins (1791-?); A. Cullen (1865-1868); M. Luge (1868-1871); George Sickel (1871-1873); Patrick Comer (1873); H. William Reed (1873-1874); Thomas Bergen (1874-1875); Fred W. Symons (1875-1876); James McBride (1876-1877); Patrick Egan (1877-1881); Andrew Anderson (1881-1882); William O'Reilly (1882-1888): Peter Jacobs (1888-1900); John Simmons Evans (1900-1901); Hans Thorkildsen (1901-1902); Theodore Severne Johansen (1902-1905); ? Swan (1905-1906); Thorwald Danielson (1906-1907); Franz Traugott (1907-1914) F. H. Bruggerman (1914-1931); Captain William Lundquest (1931-1933); George B. Jackson (1933-?).