Sydney Harbour Federation Trust
A lantern tended by convicts was first established in 1791. The lighthouse established in 1818 was Australia's first. It was designed by convict architect Francis Greenway, who was granted a pardon in recognition of his work. The active light is maintained by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. The former keeper's dwellings are leased to private caretakers.
Tower Height: 79
Height of Focal Plane: 344
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, conical stone tower.
This light is operational
One-story keeper's dwelling, assistant keeper's house (1881), several modern houses (1970).
1818: Sandstone tower.
Date Established: 1818
Date Present Tower Built: 1883
Optics: 1883: First order Fresnel lens, later replaced by a smaller lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only, tower open occasionally.
The lighthouse is located at Old South Head Road, Vaucluse, within a public park. The surrounding park provides panoramic views of the Pacific coast. The Harbour Trust has open house days with guided tours of the lighthouse every couple of months. Check their website or phone (02) 8969 2131 for the schedule.
Keepers: Robert Watson (1816-?)