Water and Shipping Authority Lübeck
In 1815 a lighthouse was established at the Falckenstein beach. In 1853 a new tower
was built, but the light could hardly be recognized against the city of Kiel. The present tower was built between 1965 and 1967 but was not put into operation until 1971. In front of the new tower the base of the old tower can still be seen. The light is located on a small island of about 0.4 acres of sand. The light is automated and remote controlled from the traffic center Travemünde. The upper part of the previous lighthouse is now on display in the center of Pries-Friedrichsort, a suburb of Kiel.
Tower Height: 105
Height of Focal Plane: 105
Characteristic and Range: Iso WRG 4 s, nominal range W 7 M, R 6 M, G 5 M.
Description of Tower: White round steel and concrete tower, green bands on gallery and base.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1815
Date Present Tower Built: 1971
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.