East End Lighthouses/East End Seaport Museum
The original Long Beach Bar Lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1963. In 1990 funds were raised and a replica of the lighthouse was built on the original foundation. The lighthouse is an active aid to navigation and the optic is maintained by the Coast Guard. The East End Seaport Museum is responsible for routine maintenance and repairs, and East End Lighthouses (a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation) is responsibile for all major repairs and improvements.
Height of Focal Plane: 63
Description of Tower: Square tower (with beveled edges) on roof of keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: 1990
Date Deactivated: 1945-1990
Date Automated: 1990
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
The East End Seaport Museum in Greenport has exhibits on Long Island Sound lighthouses. The museum is open daily from Late May to Labor Day. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The rest of May and September the museum is open weekends only 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call (516) 477-2121 for more information.
This lighthouse can be seen (with binoculars) from NY Route 25 along the shoreline of Orient Harbor. It can also be seen from Ram Island Road on Shelter Island. Shelter Island is reached from Greenport or North Haven via the Shelter Island ferry. Call (516) 749-0139 for information.