Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Assateague Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Chincoteague, Virginia, United States

Location: Southern end of Assateague Island.


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Bob Trapani, Delaware River & Bay LH Foundation

Managing Organization:
Chincoteague Natural History Association

Website: http://www.assateague.org/plover/
Email: fvmoore@verizon.net

Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 917
Chincoteague
Virginia, 23336, United States

Notes:
This lighthouse was semi-automated in 1933 and the keepers were removed. The keeper from Killock Shoals Lighthouse visited twice a week to charge the batteries until 1939, when that light was discontinued. Norman Jones then did the job of checking on the light until it was electrified. In June 2004, the property was transferred to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. The Chincoteague Natural History Association helps maintain the lighthouse and provides tours.

Tower Height: 145

Height of Focal Plane: 154

Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 5 seconds.

Description of Tower: Conical brick tower with red and white stripes.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1910 two-story concrete keeper's dwelling, 1891 oil house.

Date Established: 1833

Date Present Tower Built: 1867

Date Automated: 1965

Optics: 1867: First order Fresnel lens, now DCB 236 (lighted 2/1/1961).

Current Use: Active aid to navigation.

Open To Public? Yes.

Museum?
The Assateague Ligthouse is open every Friday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Easter weekend through Thanksgiving weekend. The first-order Fresnel lens from Assateague Lighthouse is on display at the Oyster and Maritime Museum in Chincoteague. The museum is open June through August, daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., spring and fall weekends 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information call (757) 336-6117.

Directions:
Just north of Oak Hall take VA Route 175 east across the causeway and drawbridge to Chincoteague. Turn left on Main Street and then right at Maddox Boulevard. Continue straight ahead through a traffic rotary. Continue on the main road around a toll booth until you reach a parking area with a lighthouse sign. There is a 0.25-mile path up a knoll and through the woods to the lighthouse. Use insect repellent! Ava Boczko-Pan writes in October 2002: "A fee was charged to enter the park but it is good for an entire week - so return trips are not only possible but recommended."

Keepers: David Watson, Tom Moore, Frank Jones, Samuel Quillen, Edgar Hopkins, John Anderton, Walter Wescott, William Collins.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History