The Hurricane of 1938 did tremendous damage at this station. After the light was automated in 1978 the Coast Guard demolished the keeper's house. In 2012, under the National Lighthouse Historic Act, the lighthouse was sold at auction for $381,000.
Tower Height: 81
Height of Focal Plane: 91
Characteristic and Range: Group flashing white 15 sec.
Description of Tower: Conical granite tower with white and red lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1806
Date Present Tower Built: 1869
Date Automated: 1978
Optics: 1858: Third order Fresnel lens; 1869: Second order Fresnel lens; 1995: modern plastic optic. The second order Fresnel lens is now on display at the East End Seaport Maritime Museum in Greenport.
Fog Signal: Automated horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? no
The East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation holds occasional lighthouse cruises that include views of Little Gull Island Light; call (516) 477-2121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information. Also, Capt. John's Sport Fishing Center in Waterford, Connecticut, offers a lighthouse cruise that includes this lighthouse; call (860) 443-7259 or email email@example.com for details.
Keepers: William Murray (1913-1917), Lawrence H. Congdon (April 1, 1922 to March 1, 1924)